Just something light to drink during the summertime- fruity with a hint of citrus flavor. A good combination of sweet and tangy and can be served with rosemary/mint. The key ingredient here is of course, the watermelon, but what makes it better is lime. The orange zest just adds a little something, and you can also add a splash of tequila to the mix or use a lemonade soda instead.
For 2 servings:
- 1 cup cubed watermelon
- 1/2 lime wedges
- 2-3 shavings of orange zest
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/4 water
- 1/4 tequila (optional)
- salt and/or sugar for rimming glasses
- as much ice as needed
- For the orange zest syrup, first bring the 1/4 sugar, water and orange zest to a boil while stirring constantly and until sugar is dissolved. This should only take a few minutes. When ready, take off the heat and leave to cool down.
2. Place the cubed watermelon into a blender and blend until smooth. Add water for a more “thin” juice.
3. Rub a lime wedge onto the rims of 2 glasses and pour out a little amount of sugar/salt onto a plate. Dip the glasses into the plate to coat the rims, tapping off the excess.
4. Pour the watermelon juice into glasses along with the tequila and syrup. Stir in a bit of lime juice or wedges. Add ice!